Banksia GUI 0.56

Moderators: AlexChess, TedSummers

rulleeeee

Banksia GUI 0.56

Post by rulleeeee »

In the new version of the GUI, I don't want to remember the loaded engines.

After uploading the engines, I restart the GUI, there are no engines saved. Where is my mistake?

In version 0.55 I had no problem.
pham
Site Admin

Re: Banksia GUI 0.56

Post by pham »

Thank you for the report!

I have been struggling to reproduce the issue. Can you tell me more info:
- What your OS
- How did you install the engine? By dragging-dropping it into BSG or via the Settings dialog box?
- Right after installing the engine, did you see it in the Settings dialog box?

Thanks
rulleeeee

Post by rulleeeee »

I have Windows 10

I installed the motors in two ways

Yes, I saw the settings window.

Earlier, when I set the coordinates on the chessboard, Banksia also turned off and did not want to turn on.

I copied the settings from version 0.55 and it's ok, but the problem was with remembering the engines.

I also noticed that the new version doesn't create files:

banksiaengines.json
banksiaengines.json.bk
saleemnoori

Re: Banksia GUI 0.56 [User Feedback]

Post by saleemnoori »

I'm using Banksia on Win 11 (Laptop)

In version 56, move sounds (in games, tournament etc) is not working, only it speaks moves.

Screenshot_20221123_12233511.png
Screenshot_20221123_12233511.png (49.56 KiB) Viewed 23951 times

The number of program crashes is much higher than version 55.

Engines are working fine.

Settings window is really a good idea, very easy. But kindly provide settings Icon in main toolbar instead of Files menu tab.

And also, Kindly sort the setting vertical tabs alphabetically. Engines setting must not be on Top.

Save Themes is good idea but saving layouts with names was better rather than saving with numbers.

Improvements in Database were really great. But searching in Databases maybe simpler and may be more user friendly.

Kindly provide auto-purging control of Engine Log Window

Kindly provide "Hourglass" Time Control in matches and tournaments.

Kindly provide another provision in Settings>>Appearance>>Toolbar size dropdown "Auto-fit" toolbar Icons.

2.png
2.png (38.32 KiB) Viewed 23945 times
Thanks for a good software.
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

rulleeeee wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 pm I have Windows 10

Earlier, when I set the coordinates on the chessboard, Banksia also turned off and did not want to turn on.

I copied the settings from version 0.55 and it's ok, but the problem was with remembering the engines.

banksiaengines.json
banksiaengines.json.bk
Thanks for the info.

I can't reproduce the issue. Can you check the write permission (the folder and files)?
pham
Site Admin

Re: Banksia GUI 0.56 [User Feedback]

Post by pham »

Thank you for the suggestions/bug report.

I am going to fix bugs and implement some of them for the next release.
saleemnoori wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 am Improvements in Database were really great. But searching in Databases maybe simpler and may be more user friendly.
Could you suggest more?
saleemnoori wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 am Kindly provide auto-purging control of Engine Log Window
All boxes for log paths have remove buttons, so users can quickly delete whole log files.
saleemnoori wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 am Kindly provide another provision in Settings>>Appearance>>Toolbar size dropdown "Auto-fit" toolbar Icons.[/size]
What is "auto fit"? Could you explain more?

Thanks
rulleeeee

Post by rulleeeee »

pham wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:46 am
rulleeeee wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 pm I have Windows 10

banksiaengines.json
banksiaengines.json.bk
Thanks for the info.

I can't reproduce the issue. Can you check the write permission (the folder and files)?
I checked and it was indeed marked as read-only.

Strange because Version 0.55 could save changes.

But I will let you know if this problem is solved :)
rulleeeee

Post by rulleeeee »

The problem with remembering motors has been solved, but there is a second problem:

When I set everything as I want and start the GUI from the beginning, the factory settings appear and so on.

So finally I'm back to version 0.55. Because either there is something wrong with this version or with my laptop (If others don't complain about the problems I have)

Regards :)
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

rulleeeee wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:36 pm The problem with remembering motors has been solved, but there is a second problem:

When I set everything as I want and start the GUI from the beginning, the factory settings appear and so on.

So finally I'm back to version 0.55. Because either there is something wrong with this version or with my laptop (If others don't complain about the problems I have)

Regards :)
The new version used a new design for the ini-file (BanksiaGUI.ini) which is much better for users if they want to check/modify manually. Thus some settings must be set again.

You may use both older and newer versions, but that ini file may contain data of both. When newer versions are stable, it is better to delete that ini file and set it up again to avoid mixing between old-new data.