Banksia GUI still very buggy

Moderators: AlexChess, TedSummers

RubiChess

Re: Banksia GUI still very buggy

Post by RubiChess »

I just did that even before I read what you wrote here and indeed the problem with big RAM usage is gone. Or at least far better even after adding some book files in the settings and a 5-men-syzygy folder.
And the crash when playing my version 0.1 seems also fixed.

But... the problem with the wrong stats of my old engines is still there even with 0.56D.
Could it be some regional setting of the OS?
I am using a german Windows and in Germany we use , for a decimal dot for example and have a time format different from US. Maybe Banskia uses some parsing function that uses regional settings of the OS and that doesn't work on an "english" UCI / Banksia json file / whatever.
Otherwise I cannot explain why you can't reproduce the bug playing tourney with my old engines.

Regards, Andreas
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

RubiChess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm But... the problem with the wrong stats of my old engines is still there even with 0.56D.
The file you sent me has the wrong numbers already, thus we can't do anything with it. I guess those wrong numbers were caused by parsing engine info when the code has bugs in the previous version. Just ignore. If you see wrong stats again with new tournaments, please inform me.
RubiChess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm Could it be some regional setting of the OS?
I am using a german Windows and in Germany we use , for a decimal dot for example and have a time format different from US. Maybe Banskia uses some parsing function that uses regional settings of the OS and that doesn't work on an "english" UCI / Banksia json file / whatever.
Otherwise I cannot explain why you can't reproduce the bug playing tourney with my old engines.

Regards, Andreas
The region of BSG is the one defined by the system. If you need to change it, just set it with the system.

Just note that UCI has no regional relation, all numbers are simple integers, and strings are simple English/Latin only. Thus the communication between chess GUIs and engines should be the same in any region.
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

pham wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 pm
RubiChess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm But... the problem with the wrong stats of my old engines is still there even with 0.56D.
The file you sent me has the wrong numbers already, thus we can't do anything with it. I guess those wrong numbers were caused by parsing engine info when the code has bugs in the previous version. Just ignore. If you see wrong stats again with new tournaments, please inform me.
Come on, I am in IT business, testing and developing software for 25 years and you can trust me that I know how to test and debug an application. We talked about a new/clean configuration folder. Of course I played a NEW tornament with a CLEAN configuration folder and using 56D. This has nothing to do with the file I sent you before. But the new file created with a clean 56D still has "wrong numbers".
RubiChess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:50 pm Could it be some regional setting of the OS?
Tested it myself. Set my Windows to regional settings of United states (decimal dot etc.) and played a NEW tournament using 56D. And still the old engines show wrong stats.

Meanwhile I did more tests and I am sure that the problem with the wrong stats has to do with the time control.
Playing longer timecontrols like 3 minutes + 1sec. the stats of Rubi-0.5 look quite good.
Playing short tc like 10 seconds + 0.1sec. the stats of Rubi-0.5 get very bad, like 0.1 moves / game.
So please test playing tourneys with my old engines and very short time control then you will see the bug (B.GUI creating the json with the "wrong numbers") yourself.

Andreas
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

I have stored it in my to-do list as a bug since you saw it with the latest release. Thanks.

I am struggling to reproduce it even though I have tested with your engines for a while. Will come back to that issue later.
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

Reading in talkchess that people go back to 0.55 cause "0.56. doesn't work correct(ly)".
In my opinion the only way to improve Banksia GUI (in the sense of making it stable) is to make it open source. I could search for the bug and probably fix it myself instead of arguing with you if there is a bug or not.

Regards, Andreas
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

Next bug: Opening a pgn containing chess960 games.
1. Download and expand FRC games of SF 15.1 played at CCRL: http://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/404FRC/ga ... 00].pgn.7z
2a. Open the pgn in BanksiaGui 0.56 with option "standard chess": Database opens but doesn't show games correctly (e.g. there are games with 0 plies)
2b. Select options "Chess 960" and open the pgn: BanksiaGUI just crashes.
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

Next two problems/bugs/feature requests:
1. The engines log file logengins.txt has logs of many different (replayed) tournaments, so "View engine-log of game x" doesn't load the correct log of game x of the last tournament but it opens the log of the first "game x" it finds in the file. An old one if you don't clean/delete the file manually.
2. Reopening a game doesn't show tb hits in the graph. Probably because banksiaplaying.json doesn't store the tbhits.

Regards, Andreas
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

RubiChess wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:42 am Next bug: Opening a pgn containing chess960 games.
1. Download and expand FRC games of SF 15.1 played at CCRL: http://ccrl.chessdom.com/ccrl/404FRC/ga ... 00].pgn.7z
2a. Open the pgn in BanksiaGui 0.56 with option "standard chess": Database opens but doesn't show games correctly (e.g. there are games with 0 plies)
2b. Select options "Chess 960" and open the pgn: BanksiaGUI just crashes.
Thank you a lot, especially for the so detailed report (easy to reproduce)! The bug will be fixed for the next release!
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

RubiChess wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:02 pm Next two problems/bugs/feature requests:
1. The engines log file logengins.txt has logs of many different (replayed) tournaments, so "View engine-log of game x" doesn't load the correct log of game x of the last tournament but it opens the log of the first "game x" it finds in the file. An old one if you don't clean/delete the file manually.
Next to the boxes of log paths there are always delete buttons. Users can click on those buttons to quickly delete whole log paths.

I had considered some other solutions, including auto-delete some parts or all log files when BSG is starting. However, there is some risk of losing data when users really need them.
RubiChess wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:02 pm 2. Reopening a game doesn't show tb hits in the graph. Probably because banksiaplaying.json doesn't store the tbhits.

Regards, Andreas
tb-hits maybe stored with the game as computing info. If computing info is "Standard", the game could store only "score/depth elapsed nodes" and no place for tb-hits (missed). You may use TCEC standard instead (Settings->Move& Move panel)
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

This time no bug report but a question: What is this "Margin per move" parameter in the time control settings? I could just guess that a time forfeit smaller than "margin per move" doesn't count as a loss?

Regards, Andreas
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

When an engine is time out, BSG will wait for a period of that margin before ruling the game. If the engine could return a result within that period, the game could be continued, otherwise it will be terminated and that engine will be ruled as a loser (forfeited by timeout).

Margins can help to avoid some delays/lagging between network or communicating between engines and chess GUIs or solve the problem with some engines use all allowing time for calculating and no time left for communicating/lagging.

For standard timers, that extra period is still counted (subtracted from time lefts).
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

Two more problems (tested with latest 0.58 but also in older releases)
1. In settings / general the "score in white view" option isn't an option anymore but seems to be part of the radio button group. Means: If you enable "score in white view", neither "pawn unit" nor "centipawn" are selected. And if you select one of them, "score in white view" gets disabled again. This is probably not intended.
2. If you run an analysis of a game (like 10 seconds per move) the eval graph isn't updated. You have to move the banksia window or resize (or close/opn) the score graph dock to get the latest eval dots. Tested under Windows 10.

Regards, Andreas
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

Thanks. All those bugs are fixed for the next release.
RubiChess

Post by RubiChess »

Long time no bug report... here it comes:
Banksia sends "isready" after setting the options but it doesn't wait for the engines answer "readyok". Instead it directly sets the position and starts the game.
Option setting can take some time (e.g. setting the hash needs clearing the momory which takes some time) and exactly for this the synchronisation via isready/readyok should be used. See https://backscattering.de/chess/uci/#gui-isready

Here is a log of a tourney that uses concurrency 7 so in the very first round 14 engines including setting their options are started in parallel. This results in losing more than 4 seconds on the first move:

Code: Select all

5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang> uciok
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< setoption name Hash value 256
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< setoption name Move_Overhead value 10
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< setoption name Ponder value false
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< setoption name Threads value 1
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< isready
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang> info string Allocation of memory uses large pages.
5.15:09:50 Komodo 14.1 64-bit< ucinewgame
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang< ucinewgame
5.15:09:50 RubiChess current Clang> info string Allocation of memory: Large pages not available for this size. Disabled for now.
5.15:09:51 RubiChess current Clang< position fen r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/2n5/2b1p3/2B1P3/5N2/PPPP1PPP/RNBQK2R w KQkq - 0 2
5.15:09:51 RubiChess current Clang< go wtime 300000 btime 300000 winc 1000 binc 1000
5.15:09:54 RubiChess current Clang> readyok
5.15:09:55 RubiChess current Clang> info depth 1 seldepth 2 multipv 1 time 1 score cp 20 nodes 36 nps 27341 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv b1c3