Bug with CB-Emu

Moderators: AlexChess, TedSummers

Tschens

Bug with CB-Emu

Post by Tschens »

When I try to organize a 2-engine tournament between Mephisto Lyon and Fidelity Designer Mach IV Master 2325, Banksia GUI tells me in the games list that Mach IV crashed in most games when playing black. But this is not true. It just takes some time until the starting position is set up (I use the 20 starting positions from John Nunn). And the setup procedure for the black side happens AFTER white made its first move (WHY so late??). Also setting the "margin per move" to 60 seconds does not help. Setting up the position for Mach IV takes longer than for Lyon, thats obviously why the problem occurs only with Mach IV playing black. One must assume that this problem also occurs with plenty of other CB-Emu engines.
This seems to be a bug in Banksia GUI, I am already in contact with the author from CB-Emu, he commented the problem as follows:

"In my plugins I have no influence on what (or when) a GUI sends any commands to the engines. In principle, the communication between GUI and engine runs via so-called I/O buffers, i.e. the GUI sends its commands to the buffer, and the engine then reads these commands from it. Since these commands remain stored in the buffer until they are 'fetched' by the engine, there should not be any timing problem, i.e. even if a move of the Lyon 16 is already executed while the Mach IV is still busy with the position setup, then this move reaches the Mach IV only AFTER the position has been set up.
So if this really doesn't work properly over and over again, then the problem is almost certainly with the Banksia GUI."

Hope this problem can be solved soon.
pham
Site Admin

Re: Bug with CB-Emu

Post by pham »

Thanks for the report!

Could you please send me the engine log of those matches? Thanks again!
Tschens

Re: Bug with CB-Emu

Post by Tschens »

I cannot find any engine log. Where should it be located?