Banksia Won't Allow Game to Complete

Moderators: AlexChess, TedSummers

pgalbraith

Banksia Won't Allow Game to Complete

Post by pgalbraith »

Banksia seems to prematurely decide that a game is over once it reaches a certain point where one player is clearly ahead, and won't allow it to be played any further. Is this a configurable setting anywhere? I would still like to proceed with the game to completion. E.g. in the attached game, clearly black will win, but after playing pawn to a1 -> Q the game cannot be played any further. I would still like to play to mate.

UPDATED:
cannot-finish.zip
(700 Bytes) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by pgalbraith on Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pham
Site Admin

Re: Banksia Won't Allow Game to Complete

Post by pham »

Thank you for the report!

According to your attached file, the game is terminated because of an illegal move. It means the black side (Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition) produced an illegal move and was ruled as a loser.

You may check its engine log to find the last move it produced.

BTW, I am not sure about your settings for that game and so confused. Is it a tournament or a none-tournament game? How come the black side is stored in the PGN file as a human player (with the prefix hm::)? Typically, the human side can't make any illegal move since the GUI prevents that.

If that is a tournament, it may be ruled out/terminated by the Adjudication feature. However, it will note down clearly the reason on the PGN.
pgalbraith

Post by pgalbraith »

I was playing "Grandmaster" manually. You can load the game and try yourself, it will not let you move the pawn. I've noticed that this only happens in the most recent version. Loading the PGN in v0.55 allows you to move the pawn.

I think the "illegal move" happened after I tried to reload the PGN and continue playing, Banksia then decided that the pawn move was illegal. I must have saved it again after doing that. If you play the game over again as a new game, step by step, you should hit the same problem, but I think just loading the file and trying to play the next move also shows the same bug.
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I have been struggling to reproduce the issue. I have tried all Pawn moves of the Black side for the last position but all are fine. Which move did you do?

When trying, please remember to delete the result from the PGN file first. Otherwise, BSG will think the game is completed and not allow to make move.
pgalbraith

Post by pgalbraith »

Ah I see, sorry I should have realized that. I've cleaned up the PGN in the original post. If you download it again and then try to queen the pawn, h8, Banksia 0.56c just decides the game is over.
pham
Site Admin

Post by pham »

Do you mean the move from a2 to a1? (a1=Q)
I could do it on 0.56.

Below is your game after removing the result.

pgalbraith

Post by pgalbraith »

The new PGN should shows the second player as "hm::Paul" now. I just tried this in v0.57 and it's working again for me, so it seems only v0.56c (maybe just the Windows build?) had this problem.